|Values of Delta Chi
Preamble of Delta Chi
Certainly the most public and perhaps the best-known description of the purposes of Delta Chi, the Preamble's principle ideals offer profound potential as a guide to daily life as a brother:
It has been pointed out that the four most important words in the Preamble are not what most members assume: “Friendship”, "Character”, “Justice”, and “Education”. Instead, it is suggested that the four most important words are “Promote”, ”Develop”, “Advance”, and “Assist.” The point is that “Fraternity” and, in particular, “Delta Chi” is not just about what “is” but what we, as members, should actually be doing. It is our actions that make Delta Chi, which is why the key words are the verbs instead of the nouns.
Eleven (same number as our Founders!) Basic Expectations of a Delta Chi
Delta Chi also has a collection of expectations for each member to uphold. These Eleven Basic Expectations serve as an extension of our Preamble and give us more specific principles to live by:
- I will strive for academic achievement and practice academic integrity.
- I will respect the dignity and worth of all persons. I will not physically, mentally, psychologically or sexually abuse or haze any human being.
- I will protect the health and safety of all human beings.
- I will respect my property and the property of others; therefore, I will neither abuse nor tolerate the abuse of property.
- I will meet my financial obligations in a timely manner.
- I will neither use nor support the use of illegal drugs; I will neither abuse nor support the abuse of alcohol.
- I will acknowledge that a clean and attractive environment is essential to both physical and mental health; therefore, I will do all in my power to see that the chapter property is safe, properly cleaned and maintained.
- I will know and understand the ideals expressed in my fraternity Ritual and will incorporate them into my daily life.
- I will exercise compassion and understanding in dealing with all persons.
- I will sustain my commitment to and involvement with our fraternity throughout my lifetime.
- I will challenge all my fraternity members to abide by these fraternity obligations and will confront those who violate them.